Regional HSE Risk & Compliance Manager
Safety is a key priority for Sodexo and to ensure we’re doing all we can to safeguard our people, clients and customers we’ve created a Regional HSE Risk & Compliance Manager position. We’re looking for a HSE fanatic with NEBOSH General Certificate to ensure sites across Yorkshire, the Humber & North East are 100% up to date and compliant with all the processes and policies that keep us, our clients and our customers safe.
You won’t be confined to an office, you’ll be out in the field completing audits and investigations and interacting with the site-based teams. You’ll compliment this with home working (1-2 days / week) to ensure your up to date with reports, emails, action plans, training and the rest of the team. You’ll have autonomy over your own diary ensuring the pro-active audits are completed, actions are closed out, risks are mitigated and a H&S culture is embedded whilst balancing with some of the re-active investigation and reporting of accidents, incidents, abnormal events and non-compliance.
You’ll be responsible for providing feedback and challenge, where necessary, to the operational and site leads so your communication skills and ability to influence are key to your success. In a global organisation that have safety at the top of their agenda there are so many opportunities and directions you could take your career within HSE at Sodexo!
Please note due to the nature of this position you will need to be fully mobile to travel across the UK and Ireland Region with a full UK Driving licence.
- Deliver the compliance audit process to provide an accurate and timely assessment of compliance capability and delivery with the operational (and functional) areas of the business.
- Implement the regional audit framework to undertake audits within the postholders geographical area of responsibility based on risk to the business and using the regional risk rating framework to prioritise potential business risk.
- The post holder will be responsible for taking a holistic cross-Segment view of the operations within their geographical area and working with the Head of HSE Audit & Compliance and the Segment Heads of HSEQ to agree the risk-based auditing approach.
- Plan and advise on upcoming issues faced using evidence-based anticipation to reduce risk to the business. Utilise available data sources to make risk based decisions enabling the post holder to manage identified risks appropriately.
- Validate audit programme completed by operational management and in particular the close-out status of actions
- Supporting operational teams in analysing why and how HSEQ incidents have happened to prevent reoccurrence and to maximise learning and assist operational site teams in the investigation and reporting of accidents, incidents, abnormal events and non-compliance.
- Develop action plans to improve HSEQ performance and achieve sustainable results and Review, validate and challenge risk assessments for new contract mobilisations or mobilisations of new services within existing contracts (REF process)
- Deploy globally and regionally mandated safety initiatives. Deliver training and awareness programs for staff on HSEQ related initiatives and projects and provide oversight on compliance status at new contract mobilisations, supporting where necessary and appropriate.
- Liaise with statutory bodies as appropriate when required or requested to attend within the defined geographical area – all activity being co-ordinated with the Segment operational and HSE management where appropriate.
- Implement, promote and advocate the use of Sodexo’s business management system and support the development and continual improvement of it.
- Conduct assurance audits of the supply chain and third party organisations to recognise non-compliance and reduce risk exposure in accordance with Sodexo’s supply chain assurance protocols.
The Ideal Candidate
- Graduate calibre – a minimum of NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent
- Autonomous working self-starter, able to effectively manage own workload of defined geographical area with minimal direction and assess data points to prioritise risk within that area
- Proven ability to demonstrate dynamic and active approach to HSEQ management, within a commercial context
- Able to identify new and innovative ways of working
- Demonstrating a flexible approach to incident response and able to respond to accidents or events across a defined geographical area and within an agreed timescale
- Understanding of food safety and hygiene, ideally possessing CIEH qualification
- Good working knowledge of Certified Management Systems including OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 through significant job experience & training
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, Defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to further engage ex-forces personnel and reservists. Those applying for roles with us who meet the essential criteria advertised under the ‘ideal candidate’ on the vacancy advertised are guaranteed to progress within the selection process.