Operational Support Officer (OSO)
Sodexo Justice Services delivers custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within England, Scotland and Wales and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
HMP/YOI Bronzefield is a closed local prison serving courts across the South of England. Our mission is to deliver quality of life services which make a meaningful difference to women in the criminal justice system by supporting them to change their lives for the better. To achieve this we focus on providing needs-based services and programmes to rehabilitate and improve the well-being of our women.
We house up to 572 women (approximately 14.5% of the national female prison population). The women in our custody have a diverse and complex set of needs and range from mothers and babies, young offenders, life and long term sentenced women, short to mid-term sentenced women, foreign nationals and women on remand.
We have been awarded a bronze accreditation by Investors in People for our commitment to our staff, their development, engagement and investment in a sustainable future.
Full completion of application form on Sodexo careers website by 28 August 2019
Start Date of course: TBC
Number of Jobs Available: 2
Is this the job for you?
The role of an OSO is fundamental in the running of the prison. OSO’s are essential to the smooth, efficient and effective management of the prison. The role supports colleagues and visitors across all aspects of the site.
You can demonstrate that you have the interpersonal and communication skills to work with a number of people from diverse backgrounds and experiences and will on occasion be required to deal with confrontation in a professional and appropriate manner.
You have the ability to work within a very structured, repetitive and planned environment and working very closely within a large team
You will be able to maintain site security by controlling access at the gatehouse, searching vehicles and visitors and checking identification
You will display excellent levels of customer service to all visitors to the prison
You will control and issue equipment to colleagues including keys and radios
You will be able to work under pressure and to perform an integral role within the control/CCTV room. You will be the first point of contact for any incident that occurs within the prison and will monitor all movements and activities and this may mean you see things that are upsetting
We encourage you to truly consider your application and would ask you to review the statements below.
- I am aware that I will be working a 40 hour shift pattern, including antisocial hours, with set rest breaks. The shifts could be early, late, at night, during public holidays (Christmas and New Year) or at the weekend. I know I need to have considered an alternative mode of transport to get to work, if there are unforeseen circumstances; such as snow, my car breaks down or there is no public transport.
- I can work in a highly secure environment, wearing a uniform, under lock and key, without my mobile phone for a 12 hour shift.
- I realise my role is not to prejudge prisoners based on the crimes that have been committed or to punish further those that are in my care.
- I understand that when I start my role I will be on a mandatory Induction Training course, where I will not be given permission for time off and any module’s I may miss, could impact on whether I am able to pass the course.
- I understand that working within a prison I will need to undertake certain security checks, which will check my background and any spent or live criminal convictions. I also understand that some convictions, whether spent or live, could have an impact on my future employment with Sodexo, these will all need to be disclosed straight away and also during my employment.
The Ideal Candidate
- High level of inter personal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Have a proactive approach to Equality and Inclusion.
- Have a proactive approach to Health and Safety.
- The ability to challenge inappropriate behaviour.
- Ability to perform tasks alone or in a team to a high standard without constant supervision.
- Proactive, systematic approach to tasks.
Starting salary of £18,072.66 per annum rising by £500 at the end of training and a further £500 at the end of probation + London weighting £3,453 (per annum). Excellent benefits including free onsite parking, shopping discounts, pension and 28 days holiday. 40 hour shift pattern working week, including evenings, weekends, nights and bank holidays.
Please note: initial communication will be via email, please monitor your junk and spam folders to ensure you are aware of next stage requirements.
1 permanent position and 1 Fixed Term Contract position available
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those under our supervision and in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within the UK and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.