We are currently recruiting a Mess Manager at Swinton Barracks in Hampshire.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, managing and organising the delivery of day to day mess operations including events and functions which will benefit all members and residents.
The candidate will need to have good communication skills and be able to carry themselves with an authoritative, confident manner as they will need to promote and manage functions within the mess. This will include working alongside the catering team to plan and cost menus.
For this very busy high profile environment, we require a ‘can do’ team player who is well organised, articulate and professional. This is a great opportunity to support our Armed Forces and improve the quality of their daily life, as the site is not only their workplace but also a home to many of them.
This role includes working 5 out of 7 days, including some evening and weekends as the business requires.
- Ensure there is a prompt and efficient service of all meals and catering requirements at the specified time
- Take responsibility and monitor all Health and Safety and FS standards
- Lead and develop the mess team
- Ensure standards of service detailed in the contract are achieved, maintained and developed
- Plan and execute high-profile dinners and events in the mess
- Manage the mess budget
- Maintain a strong client relationship
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrate experience of working in a similar role within the service industry at a comparable level in a company
- Good numerical and communication skills, must be able to demonstrate effective verbal and written communication
- Management knowledge of health & safety and food safety
- Able to work on own initiative within a team environment
- Able to demonstrate working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Proven experience in hospitality sector, including stock management, cash control and customer service
- Able to demonstrate attention to detail and adherence to standards
- Analyse problems analytically, develop opportunities and implement innovative solutions
- IOSH and CIEH qualifications or equivalent
- Proven experience of managing client relationships
- Proven track record of leading, managing and developing a team
- Experience of working in a military environment
As part of our commitment to improving the quality of life for our employees, Sodexo offers a Flexible Benefits Scheme, allowing you to tailor a reward package to suit your needs but includes a technology scheme, private dental insurance, travel insurance, gym membership, Gourmet card, private medical insurance and the ability to purchase or sell annual leave. We also have a Sodexo Discount scheme, which offers employees and their friends and family the opportunity to benefit from over 1,200 discounts from top retailers both online and in-store.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.