Linen Porter - Healthcare
About the role
Hospital stays can be quite a stressful time for our patients and their loved ones, a simple smile and high- quality service can put a patient at ease and make all the difference!
At Sodexo, our Logistics / Linen team are a key part of the team within our hospitals, and we currently have a vacancy at Manchester; To provide a transport service to meet the needs of the wards and departments and to ensure that the receipt and delivery of clean linen is appropriately transferred around the hospital.
A few things about you
Our patients are at the heart of everything we do, so it’s important that fantastic customer service is always at the forefront! If you are a compassionate, friendly, and approachable individual with great communication skills, this could be the perfect role for you!
Your organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks must be second to none, as in this role you’ll need to adapt to different tasks within different departments and with different teams. You will have the ability to demonstrate great teamwork and work independently on your own!
As Sodexo embeds a strong Safety culture in everything we do, there will be procedures, site specific guidelines / requirements and regulations to follow. You will be required to carry heavy loads and spend a long amount of time on your feet. Manual Handling training and a clean Driving Licence are essential.
- To deliver the appropriate amounts of clean linen to Wards using the “top up” system
- To assist new starter induction is on the “buddy” programme.
- Respond to and complete tasks scheduled or by ad hoc request as per company policy within the specified timeframes.
- Removal of clinical and non-clinical waste and laundry from departments as required.
- To hang curtains on wards and departments as requested by the Supplies Coordinator or supervisors.
- Use of task management system (CARPS) to enable effective management of activity within the Linen service
- Inputting of linen stock levels using hand held terminals.
- Completing linen quality checks as per contractual requirements, reporting any non-conformances to the linen service supervisor.
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by the line manager.
- Regularly working in obnoxious smelling environment, e.g. urine, vomit excrement and receiving requests to remove body fluid spillages in public areas where applicable.
- Working in an area with Terminally ill /dying and /or aggressive patients
The employees will participate in the required company and trust training.
Staff must conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times and be aware of patients dignity and privacy when it comes to their personal information. All portering staff will be mindful to give assistance and wherever possible to help with any queries raised by patients and visitors.
Sodexo is committed to providing patient customer care of the highest quality and promotes this through the customer care training of their staff.
During the course of his/her duties the post holder may have access to confidential information which must not be divulged to any unauthorised person or any relative at any time.
Health and Safety
Staff must take care of their own safety and others who may be affected by their actions or omissions. Health and Safety in the workplace is a two way thing managers must make sure their employees work in a safe environment and employees have an obligation to report any Health and Safety concerns to management. The workforce must ensure that all equipment or personal protective equipment provided is used in the appropriate manner. They must also report any accidents or near misses to the appropriate manager and must also complete a HIRS report.
- To Assist the Trust in reducing healthcare associated infections you should be familiar with the Trust Hand Decontamination Policy, attend mandatory inductions training and be compliant with all hand hygiene standards at all times.
- Take care of your own safety and safety of others who may be affected by your actions or omissions.
- Adhere to Sodexo and department of health and safety policies and use any equipment of personal protective equipment provided to ensure safety.
- Co-operate with their managers and supervisors to maintain safe systems and safe workplaces.
- Report any near misses and accidents/incidents or ill health, failings in premises equipment or personal protective equipment.
- Not interfere with any equipment provided to ensure Health and Safety.
- Not to attempt to carry out tasks or repairs beyond your competence.
Communication and relationships
- The post holder will be in contact with all service users and management/ supervisory teams on a regular basis face to face or by telephone.
- On a regular basis the post holder will develop a close relationship with long stay patients and relatives. Dealing with Patient deterioration and Bereavement may have an emotional impact on the post holder.
- To respect and support peoples equality and diversity
The post holder will operate at all times to high standards of probity. This will include: -
- Complying with Health & Safety Regulations and COSHH.
- Complying fully with all policies and procedures in line with Trust Policies and procedures
- Complying with all current Hygiene Regulations.
- Complying with Standard Financial Instructions.
- Complying with the Data Protection Act. (Patient confidentiality)
Monday to Saturday 06:00-12:00 6 day a week x 2 staff member to cover long term sickness
Saturday and Sunday 07:00-15:00 x 1 staff member to support the 7-day services
About the Company
Why choose Sodexo?
You don’t just join Sodexo, you belong.
What do we mean when we say belong?
It’s simple. You create a company where everyone is respected and feels that their ideas count. You take care of the quality of life of your people. You make your workplace inclusive, encouraging people to bring their whole self to work every day. That’s our philosophy in a nutshell.
A career at Sodexo won’t tie you down, it actively encourages your progress. The diverse range of roles we offer is truly infinite. Whatever your skills, experience or passion, you’ll be encouraged and supported to have a fulfilling career.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We encourage our employees to get involved with our Employee Networks such as Pride, Sodexo Working Parents, Sodexo Disability, So together, generations and origins. We have also launched Be Heard which is an employee network designed to bring black colleagues together (virtually) to bring about positive change.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Click here to read more about what we do to promote an inclusive culture.
As part of our commitment to improving the quality of life, health and wellbeing for our employees we provide discounts and benefits that you can tailor to suit your needs. In addition to the essentials like 20 days holidays (plus bank holidays) and pension contribution, we can help you take advantage of being part of Sodexo with benefits such as;
- Sodexo Discounts - discounts from over 1,200 top retailers with you earning WOW Points (cashback) as you shop
- Talk – a free wellbeing support helpline for you and your family
- Up to three paid days each year to volunteer
- Your Lucky Number Employee Lottery (this also supports the Sodexo Stop Hunger Foundation)
- Cycle to work
- Life assurance