Laboratory Technician - Biology
We currently have an opportunity for a Laboratory Technician (Biology) to join our team. This is a great opportunity for a customer focused individual to join a world leading food and facilities management company, which can offer unrivalled opportunities for career progression.
- Prepare reagents, analytical diluents and biological media solutions.
- Routine validation/calibration of laboratory equipment, such as balances and pH meters.
- Cell culture support (e.g. sub-culturing, harvesting, cell isolation, preparation of plasma, cell purification).
- Maintain stock levels of consumables in the laboratories - replenishing and unpacking of consumables.
- Ordering of consumables from internal/external sources as and when required.
- Monitoring of expiry dates of reagents and chemicals within the laboratories.
- Decontamination of equipment/laboratories and monitoring for contaminates.
- To liaise directly with GSK staff to ensure continuous quality of service provision.
- To operate to approved quality standards (e.g. GLP). Maintain QA systems by keeping accurate records of work undertaken, methods used and results achieved.
- Assist with the preparation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and risk assessments as required.
- Archiving of appropriate documents as and when required.
- The candidate will be required to work flexibly, depending on team priorities and support requirements.
- Required to, and is responsible for adhering to Quality, Compliance, Environmental, Health & Safety regulations and GSK/Sodexo procedures applicable to their role. Training will be provided to ensure that the procedures are understood and responsibilities are defined. Quality & Compliance non-conformances and potential Quality & Compliance risks to all regulations must be reported immediately to your Line Manager and the Sodexo Compliance Team. Environmental, Health & Safety non-conformances and potential Environmental, Health & Safety risks must be reported immediately to your Line Manager and Sodexo EHS.
Potential Additional Tasks (Sample Reception):
- Understanding and working to study protocols – liaising with Study Directors and other appropriate GSK staff.
- The use of relevant computer software for scheduling and generation of study workflows.
- Generation of sample labels and appropriate documentation based on study protocols.
- Labelling of study tubes and/or slides and delivery of these to the appropriate location.
- Receiving and sorting of clinical pathology samples according to study protocols and amendments.
- Appropriate storage, disposal and documentation of samples following analysis by GSK staff.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ideally educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant biology discipline or a minimum of 2 scientific A-levels. At least 1 year working within a laboratory environment, post qualification.
- Experience in using common biology laboratory skills (centrifugation, pipetting, autoclaving, use of balances and pH meters, preparing reagents/media etc).
- Aseptic technique and cell culture experience an advantage.
- Highly organised with excellent planning/prioritising skills and a good eye for detail.
- Excellent computer skills are essential, including the use of Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent customer focus and effective communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as within a team.
- Ability to give effective feedback to Team Leader on operational issues.
- Experience in writing technical procedures and safety related documents an advantage.
- Ability to train new staff and to give guidance to team members.
- Previous experience in a GLP or laboratory environment would be an advantage.
We currently have an opportunity for a Laboratory Technician (Biology) to join our team - either 5 days/week or 3 days/week job share.
About the Company
Sodexo is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland (Scotland).
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors.
With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.