Chef Team Leader
HMP Bronzefield are recruiting for a Head Chef. In this role, you will support the catering department, operating effectively within budget and to the required standards of food delivery. This busy department provides catering for 550 residents and 200 staff per day so proven experience in catering sector, including stock management is essential.
HMP/YOI Bronzefield is a closed local prison serving courts across the South of England. Our mission is to deliver quality of life services which make a meaningful difference to women in the criminal justice system by supporting them to change their lives for the better. To achieve this we focus on providing needs-based services and programmes to rehabilitate and improve the well-being of our women.
We house up to 572 women (approximately 14.5% of the national female prison population). The women in our custody have a diverse and complex set of needs and range from mothers and babies, young offenders, life and long term sentenced women, short to mid-term sentenced women, foreign nationals and women on remand.
We have been awarded a bronze accreditation by Investors in People for our commitment to our staff, their development, engagement and investment in a sustainable future.
- Manage and review menus and recipes in line with latest health and nutritional guidance, allergen guidance, Prison Rules and consumer focus feedback
- Contribute plan and deliver the catering requirements for site events (e.g., Christmas, Religious Festivals and Special Diet needs)
- Support & manage the purchasing, delivery, searching, storage, and stock rotation of food and goods within budget, as per SEMS policies and contract, to meet menu and contingency requirements
- Regularly review the Catering Risk Register to identify and control all major risks
- Support the Catering team in supervising kitchen residents to maintain high standards of hygiene, safety, and health standards, and security and control (including searching, roll checks, and control of tools and equipment)
Please see attached job description for further information regarding the role requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Catering qualifications: City and Guilds 706/1 and 2, NVQ level 2 and possess an intermediate level food safety certificate
- Food allergen training
- Good numerical, interpersonal and communication skills, must be able to demonstrate effective verbal and written communication
- A sound understanding of H.A.C.C.P. and knowledge of health & safety and food safety
- Ability to make independent decisions
- Proven experience in catering sector, including stock management
- Able to work on own initiative within a team environment
Salary of £28,000 - £29,000 per annum + London weighting (£287.75 per month).
5 out of 7 days including weekend working.
Free meals and parking included
Location is HMP Bronzefield, Woodthorpe Road, Ashford, Middlesex, TW15 3JZ. Please note this is not located near Ashford in Kent.
We also offer Sodexo Discounts site promoting discounted mobile phone tariffs, savings across restaurant chains and days out, where you and your family can save money on everything from your weekly food shop to the latest cinema blockbuster and much more.
Post holders will be subjected to an advanced DBS check, a prison security check (level 2) prior to being employed.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs around 30,000 people, and partners with clients in many sectors across business and industry; schools and universities; sports and leisure; energy and resources; government and agencies; healthcare; justice and defence.
Sodexo’s connected; people-centric approach brings together a diverse range of expertise. The breadth of services it offers ranges from food and hospitality; cleaning; reception; concierge (Circles); security; property management and technical services through to data driven workplace strategy and design (Wx); employee engagement and recognition services (Sodexo Engage) and personal home services through Prestige Nursing + Care and the Good Care Group.
Sodexo is committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.