Shift Mechanical Craftsman
- Have a broad understanding of legislation and codes of practice affecting engineering works and comply with both these and the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work at all times.
- Undertake risk assessments for maintenance and repair works to ensure that works are carried out in a safe manner.
- Ensure plant history is kept up to date.
- Understand the relationship between their own work and that of other trades and grades of staff.
- Learn new techniques and procedures with training where appropriate, attaining the required certification.
- Instruct others on aspects of their work relating to their core trade.
- To undertake other specific duties when requested by the Operational Supervisor.
- Have the responsibility for contacting external contractors and work with these contractors ensuring their compliance with Sodexo’s Health and Safety Policy for contractors. (Medical gas, lift, drains engineers etc).
- Have the responsibility for calling out the mechanical/ electrical/ joiner/ air conditioning/fridge craftsman if and when required.
- Liaise with departmental manager, ward/clinic staff or administrators and observing departmental procedures, (infection control, barrier nursing).
- The post holder will be required to identify and request materials for repairs/modifications, supplying comprehensive technical details to the relevant supervisor.
- As a multi skilled engineer, to provide an emergency response to urgent and emergency jobs
To achieve this the post holder will carry out a wide range of planned and emergency mechanical/electrical activities to a high standard.
The post holder will carry out their duties in an efficient manner with full awareness, understanding and compliance with the Trust and Sodexo’s Health and Safety, Infection Control Policies and Procedures including the Trust/Sodexo Permit to Work systems.
At all times the post holder shall carry a page/emergency bleep to enable him/her to respond to and prioritise calls to ensure timely action and a mobile telephone to enable communication with other departmental/non departmental staff of all positions as and when required. These communications will normally be via the Help Desk or in an emergency, direct from the Hospital switchboard (fire alarms, lift trappings etc). The post holder will prioritise workloads at all times, work under pressure in emergency situations where failure to act promptly of safely may result in serious injury, damage or loss of life.
The Ideal Candidate
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- The engineer will be required to hold a level 3 City & Guilds qualification in mechanical qualification.
- The post holder will be required to use their specialised skills and technical knowledge to convey technical information to Sodexo/Trust engineers and contractors when co-ordinating repair work inside and outside of normal working hours. This will reflect the need for the post holder to act on his/her own initiative, the need for accuracy, attention to detail, numeracy and record keeping.
- The post holder will be required to assess at all times their own work taking into account the priority, risk factors and possible interruption of this work due to urgent/emergency calls showing their ability to work without supervision.
- The post holder will be required to use machinery and tools within their level of expertise/training, including power tools in accordance with PUWER regulations. The post holder will also be required to make regular use of ladders, scaffolding, access equipment, and lifting equipment.
- The post holder will follow Health and Safety procedures at all times. Be personally responsible for Health and Safety issues in respect to his/herself and their colleagues.
- If the post holder identifies a potential hazard, he/she should report it to their manager/ supervisor at once or if in doubt they should ask their manager/supervisor for guidance.
- The post holder will always use safety equipment provided and report any defects to their manager/supervisor. He/she shall attend Health and Safety training as directed, avoid any behaviour which discriminates against their fellow employees on the grounds of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, religion, creed, colour, nationality, ethnic origin or disability.
- The post holder may at times safeguard confidentiality of information relating to patients and staff; behave in a manner that ensures the security of the hospital/ hospital property and resources whilst abiding by all relevant Policies and Procedures.
- The post holder will mutually agree to provide cover as requested for training of colleagues.
- This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive as new systems or plant which require attendance outside of normal working hours are constantly being introduced.
- Whilst members of the Shift team have their own Specialised skill (steam raising plant, gas), there is no demarcation.
- Other than the Autoclaves and Sterilizer washers the Shift are expected to cover the rest of the hospitals plant and control systems.
- Shall be prepared to undertake additional training in order to fulfil the requirements of the post, satisfy new regulations/ legislation or to further develop the duties.
- Understand and work within policies and local procedures relating to Safeguarding Children and the Protection of Vulnerable Adults.
- Having a knowledge of carrying out planned and reactive maintenance tasks in a healthcare environment would be desirable.
- Be Self-motivated and able to adapt to changing situations
- Be able to demonstrate an aptitude for problem solving using a logical approach
- Good verbal and written communication skills
working on a agenda for change contract working shifts, more information on request
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 36,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the energy, corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
At Sodexo we are committed to a leading role in promoting equality opportunities and valuing diversity and inclusion. We seek to create a work environment based on mutual respect for all individuals, building a culture that appreciates and values the experiences and skills brought by each person to benefit our organisation and work hard to ensure that all people, whatever their race, colour, sex, gender identity disability, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or belief, marital/partnership or family status, sexual orientation, age, social class, educational background, employment status, working pattern, are welcome to and included within our organisation.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.