Prison Registered Nurse (RGN/RCN)
HMP Forest Bank are recruiting for a Registered General Nurse to join the busy Healthcare Team to deliver a comprehensive range needs based health care services to adult and young offenders residing within HM Prison Forest Bank.
HMP Forest Bank serves the courts of Greater Manchester and maintains strong links to the local community with a focus on resettlement. We aim to deliver quality of life services and support people to change their lives for the better.
Opportunities for learning and developing work-ready skills are on offer for all who come in to custody, but our commitment to reducing reoffending in local communities does not end at the prison gate. We support people released from custody through innovative partnerships in substance misuse services in Bury and Oldham, working with people to maintain recovery and lead law-abiding lives.
As well as the 16 residential units on site, there is a healthcare centre, gym, library, workshop complex, visits hall, chaplaincy and kitchen. The prison’s capacity stands at 1,460, holding adult men both on remand or sentenced and young prisoners between the ages of 18-21 years.
- Assist in the promotion, monitoring and development of evidence based primary health care services, and monitor the work of others providing services to the population.
- Provide an emergency first line response service in emergency situations daily within the prison environment.
- Maintain clinical credibility in order to remain updated and influence the practice of others.
- Attend meetings associated with your area of responsibility and in the absence of or at the request of the HCC Manager.
- Demonstrate a willingness to develop professionally and contribute to the delivery of the NSFs to the practice population.
- Promote and support multidisciplinary and interagency working throughout the delivery of healthcare, understanding the contribution of others in the wider prison system.
- Assist the primary care Manager in the development, implementation, of policies and standards and procedures.
- Administer medications as prescribed according to NMC guidelines.
- Support the development, implementation, and monitoring of Clinical Governance and quality assurance.
- Support the continuous personal development and training of all healthcare staff.
- Participate in clinical supervision.
- Initiate and participate in research and clinical audit ensure compliance with prison healthcare and NSF standards.
The Ideal Candidate
- Current NMC registration
- Previous registration experience in acute medicine / emergency dept
- Evidence of professional development
- Non-judgemental approach towards all individuals
- Flexibility to work shift patterns on a 24-hour rotational basis in response to the needs of the prison including nights/weekends/bank holidays
- Evidence of good communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to prioritise and meet goals with tight deadlines
- Previous prison experience
We provide a safe and controlled working environment where you get to see the full cycle of patient care and work with a dedicated multidisciplinary team. You will have the opportunity to work independently, make your own decisions and have a family friendly work-life balance. Some of the other benefits that we offer are:
- Excellent salary - £34,196.34 per annum
- 25 days holiday plus 8 days bank holidays, this increases to 28 days plus 8 days bank holiday after 3 years of service. There is also the option to purchase up to an additional 5 days holiday.
- Maternity Pay – 12 weeks full pay reducing to 12 weeks half pay and bonus after 5 years service of 4 weeks pay.
- Sick pay Full pay for 4 weeks from 3 months service increasing with service length to full pay for 12 weeks with over 5 years service
- Free on-site parking and free meals while on duty
- Long service award
- Free learning and development
- Access to Sodexo Discounts – wide range of Holiday, travel and retail discounts
- Support in contributing ½ towards NMC fee’s
- Subsidsed gym membership.
- 37.5 hours per week - Shift Patterns, Days, nights, Weekends, Bank Holidays
For more information on working in Justice within Sodexo please see Careers in Justice
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 36,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the energy, corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
At Sodexo we are committed to a leading role in promoting equality opportunities and valuing diversity and inclusion. We seek to create a work environment based on mutual respect for all individuals, building a culture that appreciates and values the experiences and skills brought by each person to benefit our organisation and work hard to ensure that all people, whatever their race, colour, sex, gender identity disability, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or belief, marital/partnership or family status, sexual orientation, age, social class, educational background, employment status, working pattern, are welcome to and included within our organisation.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.