As a Pharmacy Technician in the Primary care team, you will assist with the provision and delivery of an integrated, safe, legal, high-quality prison pharmaceutical service. Based in HMP Bronzefield, you will have the opportunity to make a difference to the health, well-being, and rehabilitation of offenders within the establishment. In this role you'll be working as part of the healthcare team to help safely supply and administer medicines to patients. You'll also help deliver minor ailments services, serve as a key point of advice to patients in regard to medicines management, help manage the prison's medicine supplies, and help with medicines reconciliation and supporting patients with their prescription pathways.
The position involves working alongside the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to provide an integrated healthcare service. You will hold NVQ Level 3, BTEC, or equivalent qualifications and have current registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPHC) to be considered for this role. You will also have relevant post-qualification experience working within a pharmacy environment and multi-disciplinary team.
HMP/YOI Bronzefield is a closed local prison serving courts across the South of England. Our mission is to deliver quality of life services which make a meaningful difference to women in the criminal justice system by supporting them to change their lives for the better. To achieve this we focus on providing needs-based services and programmes to rehabilitate and improve the well-being of our women.
We house up to 572 women (approximately 14.5% of the national female prison population). The women in our custody have a diverse and complex set of needs and range from mothers and babies, young offenders, life and long term sentenced women, short to mid-term sentenced women, foreign nationals and women on remand.
- Assist with the implementation and development of pharmacy support to all treatment rooms/clinic areas where medication is administered from in the prison which includes where appropriate counselling of patients on the correct use of medication.
- Administer medicines to offenders against a valid prescription on the house blocks
- Ensure clinical notes are always maintained to the agreed standard and that clients are appropriately assessed, admitted, care planned and discharged.
- Where set up, assist in the delivery of specialist services to prisoners e.g., smoking cessation, weight management, In Possession risk assessment clinics, medicines reconciliation, discharge planning.
- Ensure that Controlled drugs are stored and recorded in line with necessary procedures immediately escalating any problems to the Pharmacist and Head of Healthcare as soon as they are detected.
- Assist in the delivery of a timely and efficient medicines management service with responsibility for ensuring safe and appropriate access to medicines
- Issuing of ‘In Possession’ medicines where appropriate to prisoners in order to provide information in relation to medicines management, side effects and general medical advice.
- Ensure that clinical areas/treatment rooms areas are suitably maintained and that any unnecessary stock is removed from rooms that do not need to be there.
- Identifying and investigation of patients who have shown poor compliance for their Non in possession medication (non-IP).
- Re-ordering stock items from AAH and other relevant pharmaceutical suppliers/wholesalers and carrying out CD Balance checks
- Re-ordering medication for patients that are non-IP and ensuring that a patient does not go without their medication
Please see attached job description for further information regarding the role requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Registered with the GPhC as a pharmacy technician.
- At least 2 years’ relevant post-qualification experience working within a pharmacy environment and multi-disciplinary team
- NVQ Level 3, BTEC or equivalent
- Attention to detail and able to work in a pressurised environment
- Be able to interpret and assess a prescription prior to dispensing, supply or administration
- Computer literacy: be able to use computer systems, equipment and programmes with the healthcare department
- Able to establish good working relationships and work well as a team member
£25,547 - £31,547 depending on experience + £3454 London Weighting paid over 12 months
5 days out of 7 shift pattern
We also offer Sodexo Discounts site promoting discounted mobile phone tariffs, savings across restaurant chains and days out, where you and your family can save money on everything from your weekly food shop to the latest cinema blockbuster and much more.
Post holders will be subjected to an advanced DBS check, a prison security check (level 2) prior to being employed.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs around 30,000 people, and partners with clients in many sectors across business and industry; schools and universities; sports and leisure; energy and resources; government and agencies; healthcare; justice and defence.
Sodexo’s connected; people-centric approach brings together a diverse range of expertise. The breadth of services it offers ranges from food and hospitality; cleaning; reception; concierge (Circles); security; property management and technical services through to data driven workplace strategy and design (Wx); employee engagement and recognition services (Sodexo Engage) and personal home services through Prestige Nursing + Care and the Good Care Group.
Sodexo is committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.