Are you passionate about making a positive impact on the lives of individuals within the criminal justice system?
Do you have a flexible and responsive attitude with some experience in a teaching environment?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as an IT Tutor at HMP Forest Bank.
As an IT Tutor at HMP Forest Bank, you will plan, develop, implement, and evaluate activities and courses to help prisoners develop skills and competencies that they can utilise upon release. You will be expected to monitor the attendance, achievement, and progression of learning, whilst challenging any negative behaviours and increasing prisoners’ self-esteem through a self-directed learning/teaching style. Some of our prisoners come to us with undiagnosed learning difficulties and neurodivergence and often have lost their confidence in education - we need someone who will ensure that every prisoner when its time leaves empowered with the ability and desire to learn more.
Working in a prison, you will enjoy year-round education without the constraints of term-based schedules, providing the flexibility to take leave throughout the year.
With significantly smaller class sizes, typically ranging from 6 to 12 students, our tutors can adopt a learner-centric approach, customising teaching methods to cater to individual needs. Additionally, the requirement for learner files to remain on-site and the inclusion of daily administrative time means no home marking, allowing our tutors to focus their energy on in-class instruction and student support.
This is both a challenging and rewarding role, where you directly impact the future of our prisoners, by equipping them with the tools they need to incorporate stability in their lives upon release.
- Enable learners to develop the digital skills they need for life, work or study as set out in the national standards for essential digital skills.
- Teach confidently, using software such as Powerpoint, Word and Excel but go beyond the basics into Coding and more sophisticated digital skills.
- Provide reliable evidence of learners’ attainment in relation to the national standards for essential digital skills.
- Teach learners how to operate safely and responsibly online or when using digital devices, and how to solve basic technical problems for themselves.
- The successful candidate will be able to adapt teaching and learning to meet the needs of the individual learner and their anticipated length of stay at HMP Forest Bank.
**Please see the attached job description for a more detailed list of the main responsibilities.**
The Ideal Candidate
- Working towards or achieved a teaching qualification in the relevant subject area OR experience in a teaching/tutor role.
- Interest in the rehabilitation of offenders.
- A flexible and responsive attitude.
- Willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation.
- Be proactive, dynamic, and positive at all times.
Whilst the ideal candidate would fit into the above points, we would implore applicants with the relevant transferrable skills to apply for this role, as you may still be a great fit!
Why Join Us?
At Sodexo, our purpose is to create a better every day for everyone to build a better life for all.
Sodexo’s vision for HMP Forest Bank is to develop a safe, stable, and progressive environment with modern facilities dedicated to reducing re-offending and enabling individuals to fulfil their potential. Every aspect of the prison is designed to help prisoners make meaningful progress in their sentence and personal development goals within a surrounding culture of rehabilitation.
As the global leader in services that improve the Quality of Life, we operate in 55 countries, serving over 100 million consumers each day.
Working with Sodexo is more than a job; it’s a chance to be part of something greater. You’ll belong in a company and team that values you for you; you’ll act with purpose and have an impact through your everyday actions. And for that you’ll receive an excellent benefits package including access to gym facilities on site, free meals, free parking, a Blue Light card and much more!
We're all about building a workplace for the future, we believe in equal opportunities, and we celebrate diversity. We’re an inclusive workplace, where everyone is welcome and can be the best versions of themselves. We recognise that we’re on a journey with regards to diversity and inclusion and would therefore welcome applications from candidates from under-represented backgrounds.
If you have the ambition to build a successful career and the people skills to build successful relationships, apply now for a career that’s too good to miss.