About the role
Hospital stays can be quite a stressful time for our patients and their loved ones, a simple smile and high quality service can put a patient at ease and make all the difference!
At Sodexo, our Porters are a key part of the team within our hospitals, and we currently have a vacancy at location, to undertake the movement of patients, equipment, documentation and food.
A few things about you
This is a customer facing role so customer service experience would be key. We need someone with good communication skills, who will be empathetic towards patients and visitors.
You will be required to carry heavy loads and spend a long amount of time on your feet. Manual Handling training would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- To transfer patients in a safe and appropriate manner to and from the wards and departments via means of walking, wheelchair, stretcher or beds.
- To convey blood specimens in a safe manner from wards/departments to Pathology department.
- Conveyance of patient notes and x-rays to and from wards/departments.
- Removal of deceased bodies from wards/departments to the mortuary in a safe and dignified manner and to assist in viewing in the absence of the mortuary technician.
- To accept coroners cases into the mortuary in the absence of the mortuary technician
- Conveyance of deceased patients from ambulance to the mortuary.
- To replace medical gasses where necessary on wards/departments for the requirements of patients within the contracted hours.
- To assist in the transfer of seriously injured patients from the ambulance/helicopter to the A & E
- To use the designated blood tracking system to give a more traceable structure for the benefit of both the patient and the department.
- To help distribute drugs from pharmacy to wards/departments.
- To help transport, where specifically requested, in a safe manner patients from wards to theatres and vice versa.
- Assisting patients to be pat-slid across from trolleys to the bed with assistance from the nursing staff.
- To attend emergency incidents and support clinical staff in the event of cardiac arrests, major haemorrhage activations, fire alarm activations and major incidents.
- To assist staff on the day case unit to transport patients to and from wards.
- To assist new starter induction’s on the “buddy” programme.
- Respond to and complete tasks scheduled or by ad hoc request as per company policy within the specified timeframes.
- Sort all incoming mail in preparation for delivery.
- Redirect all incorrectly addressed mail as appropriate.
- Ensure all incoming Special/Recorded delivery items are forwarded to the addressee where appropriate.
Mail Room and Messenger Related Tasks
- Where applicable complete mail / specimens collection delivery rounds within scheduled timeframes.
- Pick up all outgoing mail from collection points within scheduled timeframes
- Identify all outgoing Special/Recorded delivery items and ensure that the appropriate paperwork has been completed to accompany such items.
- Sort all outgoing items into internal & external mail
- Categorise and frank all outgoing external mail ensuring correct postage payment to avoid returned items from Royal Mail
- Ensure that mail is kept secure at all times
- Ensure that mail delivery trolleys are maintained fit for purpose and in line with health and safety legislation
Equipment & Material related Tasks
- Remove medical and none medical equipment from wards/departments as required by the Portering manager or supervisors.
- Removal of clinical and non-clinical waste and laundry from departments as required
- To re-stock oxygen banks as required
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by the line manager.
- Use of task management system (CARPS) to enable effective management of activity within the portering service including the use of a two way radio system and Pagers.
- Regularly working in obnoxious smelling environment, e.g. urine, vomit excrement and receiving requests to remove body fluid spillages in public areas where applicable.
- Working in an area with Terminally ill /dying and /or aggressive patients
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent customer service skills
- Empathy with patients and visitors
- Ability to follow instructions
- Effective communication and customer care skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
About the Company
Why choose Sodexo?
You don’t just join Sodexo, you belong.
What do we mean when we say belong?
It’s simple. You create a company where everyone is respected and feels that their ideas count. You take care of the quality of life of your people. You make your workplace inclusive, encouraging people to bring their whole self to work every day. That’s our philosophy in a nutshell.
A career at Sodexo won’t tie you down, it actively encourages your progress. The diverse range of roles we offer is truly infinite. Whatever your skills, experience or passion, you’ll be encouraged and supported to have a fulfilling career.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities. We encourage our employees to get involved with our Employee Networks such as Pride, Sodexo Working Parents, Sodexo Disability, So together, generations and origins. We have also launched Be Heard which is an employee network designed to bring black colleagues together (virtually) to bring about positive change.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Click here to read more about what we do to promote an inclusive culture.
As part of our commitment to improving the quality of life, health and wellbeing for our employees we provide discounts and benefits that you can tailor to suit your needs. In addition to the essentials like 20 days holidays (plus bank holidays) and pension contribution, we can help you take advantage of being part of Sodexo with benefits such as;
- Sodexo Discounts - discounts from over 1,200 top retailers with you earning WOW Points (cashback) as you shop
- Talk – a free wellbeing support helpline for you and your family
- Up to three paid days each year to volunteer
- Your Lucky Number Employee Lottery (this also supports the Sodexo Stop Hunger Foundation)
- Cycle to work
- Life assurance