Patient Service Assistant
To work as a key member of the Ward Team to develop and maintain the patient environment. To provide a high quality helpful, courteous beverage and meal service, to meet the needs of patients. In addition, carrying out cleaning and related duties as required in order to assist in the delivery of the hotel services.
- To assist in the preparation of all patient food services.
- To ensure that all food is prepared and served in a safe and hygienic manner at all times.
- The distribution of menu folders.
- Collect, wash, refill and distribute patient water jugs and glasses.
- To assist with the production of all meals necessary for the provision of patient service.
- The regeneration of food in accordance with Food Hygiene Codes of Practice.
- To plate and assemble patient meals accurately on tray for presentation to the patient.
- Assist nursing staff with patient meal service at designated times.
- Check temperature of foods and record prior to service to patients.
- Ensure that any patient requiring a special diet is served correct food in accordance with their needs
- Monitor and report wastage levels of patient meals.
- The preparation and service of hot and cold beverages at designated times throughout the day.
- Prepare and serve a range of snack to patients between meals or on an ad-hoc basis as instructed by nursing staff.
- The collection of cutlery and crockery following the patient meal.
- The washing up of all crockery and cutlery items and storage of such items at ward level.
- Adherence to all legislation and policies relating to patient meal service.
- Maintain ward kitchens and equipment in a clean and hygienic manner.
- Ensure that ward issues are maintained to agreed level, and log requests for additional stock through the Helpdesk
- Ensure stock control and rotation procedures are maintained.
- Conduct meal service by attractive presentation adhering to any specific request.
- Empty and dispose of all household waste in accordance with the Trust’s Infection Control and Waste Disposal policies.
- Carry out general cleaning tasks i.e. damp dusting of all furniture, fixtures, fittings, skirting and interior glass doors.
- Carry out high dusting of walls, ledges, perimeter fittings and paintwork.
- Clean all sanitary fittings and fixtures.
- Supply and replenish consumables i.e. paper towels, toilet rolls, soap etc.
- Clean and maintain floor areas/surfaces using the appropriate equipment.
- Remove and rehang shower curtains.
- Clean the kitchen, fixtures and appliances.
- Clean and maintain the Cleaning Store and equipment.
- Respond to any specialist cleaning procedure, adhering to Infection Control guidelines.
Training, knowledge and experience
- Report any mechanical defects, pest sightings or building/environment faults to a supervisor.
- Collect and return keys after securing doors, windows and exits.
- Maintain appropriate levels of chemicals and equipment in area of work.
- Regularly check machinery and equipment, changing vacuum cleaner filters when necessary and reporting faults as required.
Decisions and Judgements:
- The post holder can liaise with Senior ward staff, Head of Department or Domestic Supervisor at any time.
- The Post holder can make decisions as to the order of work at their own discretion to fit in with site procedures, priorities and patient needs whilst ensuring work schedules prepared by manager based on National Cleaning Standards /Contractual Specifications are adhered to as far as possible
Communication and Relationships:
- The post holder will be in contact with all service users and Domestic Supervisor on a regular basis face to face or telephone.
- Domestic staff will be expected to coach new staff on cleaning tasks further to the initial training carried out by the Supervisor/ manager.
- On a regular basis the post holder will develop a close relationship with long stay patients and relatives. Dealing with Patient deterioration and Bereavement may have an emotional impact on the post holder.
- To respect and support people’s equality and diversity.
The Ideal Candidate
The post holder will operate at all times to high standards of probity. This will include: -
- Complying with Health & Safety Regulations and COSHH.
- Complying fully with all policies and procedures in line with Trust policies and procedures.
- Complying with all current Hygiene Regulations.
- Complying with Standard Financial Instructions.
- Complying with the Data Protection Act. (Patient confidentiality)
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 36,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the energy, corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
At Sodexo we are committed to a leading role in promoting equality opportunities and valuing diversity and inclusion. We seek to create a work environment based on mutual respect for all individuals, building a culture that appreciates and values the experiences and skills brought by each person to benefit our organisation and work hard to ensure that all people, whatever their race, colour, sex, gender identity disability, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or belief, marital/partnership or family status, sexual orientation, age, social class, educational background, employment status, working pattern, are welcome to and included within our organisation.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.