Working together with the Deputy Commander to successfully manage his diary
Strive to achieve results and meet deadlines
Focus on customers both internal and external and deliver a quality service.
- Daily organisation of the Deputy Commander’s electronic diary/programme using Microsoft Outlook, including arrangement of all meetings and visits to UK/overseas internal and external organisations, ensuring accuracy and clarity and synchronisation with the Commander’s diary.
- On behalf of the Deputy Commander and his driver - co-ordinate all travel and accommodation arrangements; liaising with internal and external agencies.
- Timely preparation of itinerary packs for the Deputy Commander and/or his driver in advance of meetings/travel, on occasion at very short notice.
- Give daily direction to the Deputy Commander’s driver to ensure the smooth implementation of their programme.
- Booking of conference rooms, including video conferences, when required for the Deputy Commander’s meetings. Timely completion of necessary paperwork to ensure availability of light refreshments for these meetings.
- Information Management – efficient organisation and maintenance of IT correspondence and the recording/storage for effective retrieval.
- Coordination and liaison with Military Secretariat (MS) staff regarding annual military appraisals, enabling deadlines for completion to be met.
- Assist the Deputy Commander with submission of claims forms/expenses onto the Joint Personal Administration (JPA) computer system, as well as any other JPA assistance required.
- The first point of contact in the Deputy Commander’s outer office; significantly relevant during the Deputy Commander’s frequent absences on operational tours, exercises and official engagements.
- Production of accurate and timely communication electronically or otherwise and distribution/despatch of said correspondence by appropriate means.
- Point of contact for any maintenance/repair work for the Deputy Commander’s official resisdence, ensuring all repairs are carried out effectively and in a timely fashion.
- Tracking of Brigade submissions for publications to meet deadlines.
- Completing staff returns on behalf of the Deputy Commander.
- Ensure medical/dental requirements are kept up to speed/in date.
- Report and monitor progress of any IT or Blackberry issues.
- Cover for the Commander’s Personal Secretary in her absence.
- Any other ad hoc duties commensurate with the post.
The Ideal Candidate
- IT qualification to Intermediate level to include Microsoft Word and Outlook
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above or NVQ Business Administration Level 2.
- Previous Secretarial experience
- Organisation and planning skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to problem solve
- Previous experience working in a military environment is desirable.
- Will be required to be security cleared to Secret Level (SC)