HMC/YOI Bronzefield are looking to recruit an Assistant Accountant to prove support to the department. As a Assistant Accountant you'll support and drive financial performance across the business contracts.
HMP/YOI Bronzefield is a closed local prison serving courts across the South of England. Our mission is to deliver quality of life services which make a meaningful difference to women in the criminal justice system by supporting them to change their lives for the better. To achieve this we focus on providing needs-based services and programmes to rehabilitate and improve the well-being of our women.
We house up to 572 women (approximately 14.5% of the national female prison population). The women in our custody have a diverse and complex set of needs and range from mothers and babies, young offenders, life and long term sentenced women, short to mid-term sentenced women, foreign nationals and women on remand.
We have been awarded a bronze accreditation by Investors in People for our commitment to our staff, their development, engagement and investment in a sustainable future.
- Lead person responsible for the Accounts Payable function at site for all the key departments involved in procurement of services and goods.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the finance department working along with the finance administrator.
- Providing a support service for the prison operation and working with all internal departments and the management team & assisting external stakeholders in all business-related matters.
- Supporting the month end processes and completing daily and monthly reconciliations.
- Adhere to Sodexo policies and procedures and promote Sodexo values with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain accounting controls and procurement policies, procedures, and compliance. Carry out continuous reviews of working practices and processes to ensure efficient and cost-effective operations and suggest improvements.
- Preparing monthly labour reports and variance analysis.
- Analysing financial performance and contributing to the preparation of budgets and forecasts.
- Able to deputise and make decisions on financial matters and advise on ways of improving performance.
- Interpreting and communicating financial information and data to non-financial managers and colleagues.
- Providing a support service by working with all departments and the management team to help make financial decisions.
- Adapt to changes, advising on the financial implications and consequences of business decisions.
- Working with peers across SJS prisons and share best practice.
- Working with central business shared service accounting team on all aspects of the monthly accounts preparation and reconciliations
Please see attached job description for further information regarding the role requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Part qualified accountant or studying towards a recognised finance qualification from the UK recognised professional bodies (eg: ACCA/ICAEW/CIMA or any other UK recognised professional bodies) with solid experience in a commercial environment.
- Understanding of financial systems and processes.
- Demonstrate good foundation of accounting and bookkeeping skills.
- Be able to multitask and the ability to function well in a team and work under pressure.
- Highly motivated, proactive, and requires limited direct supervision and guidance.
- Have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Be committed to personal development.
- Participate in training as required in order to keep up to date with all mandatory and company requirements.
- To undertake duties as required that will contribute to the effective operation of HMP & YOI Bronzefield.
£25,000-£30,000 plus London Weighting £3,453 per annum
We also offer Sodexo Discounts site promoting discounted mobile phone tariffs, savings across restaurant chains and days out, where you and your family can save money on everything from your weekly food shop to the latest cinema blockbuster and much more.
Post holders will be subjected to an advanced DBS check, a prison security check (level 2) prior to being employed.
About the Company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs around 30,000 people, and partners with clients in many sectors across business and industry; schools and universities; sports and leisure; energy and resources; government and agencies; healthcare; justice and defence.
Sodexo’s connected; people-centric approach brings together a diverse range of expertise. The breadth of services it offers ranges from food and hospitality; cleaning; reception; concierge (Circles); security; property management and technical services through to data driven workplace strategy and design (Wx); employee engagement and recognition services (Sodexo Engage) and personal home services through Prestige Nursing + Care and the Good Care Group.
Sodexo is committed to being an inclusive employer; we welcome and encourage applications from people with a diverse variety of experiences, backgrounds and identities.
We’re a Disability Confident Leader employer. We’re committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.